Thursday, February 13, 2014

School!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting. I struggle with what to update you all on - life here is great. Things are smooth. The kids are great. There just isn't as much pressing going on parenting a 4 and 5 year old versus babies, I must admit.

But. One of the things I've been dealing with is a bunch of large changes at the preschool my children attend. I've loved that place since day one. I picked it after touring all the other local centers and just found it awesome in every way. And, 5 years ago, the price difference was only $100 a month. Which, as I was only going to have one child, didn't seem like a big deal. Then we had Maggie and Nora, lost Nora, and I only trusted them. I know them. They were the only people I trusted with Maggie. And I've never regretted that decision.

Every year, we get a notice of a 4% cost adjustment. It would frustrate me, but we just dealt with it. And then this year, we had some major staff turnover. Nothing that effected the children, but lots of drama for me. When we got all the information from the town for Cam's kindergarten, they also sent pre-school information for Maggie. I was intrigued. They just built a whole new elementary school in our town, so I knew the facility was great, but they didn't yet have a 5 day, full day program (which I need for her). And the price difference! The public school is insanely cheaper (but would necessity a nanny in the afternoon to pick her up) and the local daycare/preschool? $500 a month cheaper.

Now, as long as I can afford our current pre-school, I will send Cam. He is in a group there with 4 boys that have been friends since they were 12 weeks old. They are like brothers. When they are together, the 4 of them are invincible. Apart, all are pretty shy. Maggie, on the other hand, her group has not been as stable. She has one girlfriend that she made in her toddler class, but people have moved in and out of her classroom a lot more than with Cam. Not one child in her class is from our town.  And she is just so much more outgoing then Cam. I really don't worry about her at all in social situations.

I started asking around. Not only about the public preschool, but also about the local daycare/preschool that I had rejected five years ago. I have so many friends with great kids that go there... I decided to take another look. I scheduled Maggie for a pre-school screening at the public school and on the same day a tour of the other daycare. Aaron came with us, and we were just SO impressed with both. We decided that both would be a great fit for Maggie (she went too and agreed!). But, the public preschool first was dependant on them actually having 5 day, full-day pre-school (they hadn't in the past). And then, it was dependant on a lottery. This morning, we found out that she got into the public preschool!

I'm just so happy. On so many levels. I'm getting laid off from my job in July. They are closing my location and we are getting a package - so it's not the end of the world. But things at work are slowing down. I decided to try changing the kids hours at daycare from 8-5 to 9-3. The drop off change wouldn't be the issue, it would be the pick up. It's actually working out well for me. And I was really only thinking about this from a cost savings measure... but it's been so wonderful! The kids are so much more relaxed when they have the extra couple hours at home to wind down!

By Maggie getting into the public preschool, I'm forced to find an afternoon nanny to pick up Maggie at school at 2:15, so instead of Cam doing aftercare at school, he'll be coming home on the bus - since the nanny will be there to get him. So they will get more 'home' time than they would have otherwise. I'm just so happy with the plans for next year (even though mine are TOTALLY in flux!)

No comments: